Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Three Men I Admire Most.....

The heat has been atrocious these last few weeks. In fact, we missed the all-time hottest July by .2 of a degree (on average). These last few days I've been lucky, house-sitting in Avenel again. With the front and back doors open, there's a very enjoyable cross-breeze thorough the living room.

Today was to be my last day there, and normally I'd have packed up early and taken everything I'd brought with me back to my place. I was hungry, so instead I decided to go to the local McDonald's first, then pack up afterwards. I got in my car and drove down Butler intending to turn left on Prospect. As I got to the corner, I thought I recognized the guy who was crossing Butler down a little from me. I turned on to Prospect, pulled to the corner, and took a closer look.

I was right, I knew him. It was J. I puller out, went to the next corner, then 3 right turns put me back on Butler below Prospect. 

(J used to live across the hall from me, until he, his wife, and their son moved about 3 weeks ago. I didn't really know them, but what I did know was that he was on some kind of drug for a mental problem, and he had a drinking problem. These led to him being verbally abusive to his wife, which I heard on many occasions out in the hallway or outside my bedroom window - at any hour of the day or night. He didn't work that I could see, and what money he did come into went, most times, for beer. I didn't like him.)

I now turned left on Prospect, looking for him, and checking the area. He was just up ahead on the right, and I saw no one else about. I passed him, and made a u-turn when I reached Leesville. I now faced down Prospect, and J would be on the left, the driver's side. I took out the Flasher, and moved slowly forward. My windows were down. I kept looking around, using my mirrors, but could see no one out, and no cars were coming in either direction. He continued to move up the block,and I down, until we were next to each other.

He looked up, right at me. He may have even recognized me. I didn't care. I lifted the Flasher. Point, press, Flash, and I picked up a little speed moving down the block. I didn't bother to look back.

I continued my original attempt to go to McDonald's. I followed Prospect down, and across Avenel Street. As I passed Lord, my eye was caught by some movement on the porch of a house just off the corner on my left. To my right was a park, and looking around, there was no visible activity in the area.

I remembered that Doyle had told me that this Flasher could be used up to 3 times within a 24-hour period.

I made another u-turn at the next corner, and headed back toward Lord slowly. There's a stop sign on that corner. As I pulled up, I could see a man sitting on the porch, reading something. My windows were still open. I stopped, taking the Flasher out. No one around. No cars moving. Point, press, Flash. I drove back toward Avenel Street, and turned left. My phone beeped. Confirm 1.

 McDonald's was going to have to wait. I was going hunting for the 3rd Event.

Across St. George's Avenue, Avenel becomes Chain of Hills Road. Strange name. I took this and bore right onto New Dover Rd.. I then made a left on to Fairview, and headed for Merrill Park. I'd gone there a few times before, and always thought I might find an easy target there. My phone beeped. Confirm 2.

I drove into the park, keeping my eyes open for anything. I drove around to the far side, to a parking lot I knew of. It usually was only used when the local high schools used the ball park nearby. As I pulled in, I saw several transit workers over by the fence separating the park from the train tracks. I don't know what they were there for, but they didn't appear to be doing anything. I parked in the lot, the only other car being a minivan to the far left. Looking around, I noticed one of the transit workers sitting on e bench just to the right of the lot. He was alone. Just sitting there, with his head lowered, a lunch box in his lap. He looked to be napping.

I started the car, the Flasher by my side. I drove to the right, and as I turned around inside the lot, I came abreast of the transit worker. The joggers, walkers, and other transit workers went about their business. No one was interested in me, or what I was doing. The sun was bright, and my car would block most of the flash. I took the chance.

Point, press, Flash. I finished my turn, heading for the exit from the lot. I drove out, slowly, through the park. No one paid me any attention. I made the turn on to Overlook which took me back to New Dover, then Chain of Hills, the St. George's.

I headed for McDonald's. "American Pie" came on the radio. My phone beeped. Confirm 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment