Friday, August 6, 2010

Curiouser and Curiouser.....

Not unexpectedly, I got a call last night. Givings instead of Doyle, but that was becoming more common. On my way there, I had a couple of interesting encounters.

I was up early, as usual, so I drove up Rahway to Avenel, intending to go the longer, less traveled route to the Menlo Park Mall. On Avenel, I stopped at a Krauser's to get a couple of lottery tickets. Parking, I noticed that there was a man apparently sleeping in his car about 8 spaces to my right. He was alone, and his window was rolled down. Since it was early, there were very few people around. I could've very easily waited till there was no one and used the Flasher, but it hadn't been 24 hours and I wasn't sure if it would work. I was, however, in a good mood as I continued.

I got to the Mall about a half-hour early so I went out to the Barnes & Nobles to kill some time. They've changed their store layout a little, and the door closest to the Mall proper is now an emergency exit so you can't go in or out that way. When I left the store through the front doors, I turned back to the Mall entrance. No one was around except for one of the Mall workers, polishing some of the marble fronting. He was bent over, in a corner, out of sight from anyone in the parking lot. A perfect second Event, if  I were ready for it. I entered the Mall, and went up to the Food Court.

Givings had chosen a table in the center, in an area were the tables were interspersed with shrubs and trees, providing some privacy to anyone who wanted it. She already had her Starbucks coffee and muffin.

"Nothing for me?"
"You didn't want anything the last time, so I didn't have anything to go on. I can wait until you get something."
"No thanks. I'd rather get this over with. I presume this has to do with yesterday's 'triple play'?"
"The People Upstairs were impressed, and wanted to know the reasons behind it. You know, . . the reasons why you chose each Event, and why you staged 3 in one day."

I knew what she meant. I laid it out for her as simply as possible. From coming across J by accident, to the coincidence of number 2, and the intentional hunt for number 3 to test the Flasher's limit. She sat there nibbling on her muffin and sipping her coffee, and let me tell the whole thing. When I'd finished, she said..

"That actually makes sense of the information we got from the trackers who've been following the implant you have. I need to report this so I have to ask, is that everything? Besides the coincidence of your coming across this J person, were there any other personal reasons for the other 2 Events?"
"None. Didn't know either one of them. Number 2 was an opportunity I couldn't pass up, and I admit I went hunting for 3. But I really didn't know them."
"OK. I believe you." She stood, taking out a cell phone. "I have to call this in right away. I'll be right back."

She stepped away, and turned her back. I could see her, but not hear her. Too bad I couldn't see her face, or that I didn't know anything about body language. After what felt like 15 minutes, she came back and held out the phone.

"He wants to talk to you."

I expected it to be Doyle. It wasn't. It was an older, slightly accented voice I didn't recognize.

"Mr. O'Neill it is a pleasure to speak to you."
"Thanks, I think. Who is this?"
"That doesn't matter. We were curious about your actions yesterday, so we asked Ms. Givings to speak to you. Her report has convinced us, well, me anyway, that you are exactly the type of person we want on this project. Your completing the first phase surprised us, and your handling of the Forrest Event pleased us greatly. Yesterday, you outdid yourself, testing the limits of the Flasher while taking advantage of certain situations was most impressive. We've authorized an increase to $1,500 per Event starting with yesterdays tally."
"Thank you. That's very generous. But I was wondering..."
"Please don't think me rude, Mr. O'Neill, but I'm pressed for time. There are things my colleagues and I hope to accomplish, but we must convince the others that they are worthwhile. Take care of yourself, Mr. O'Neill." He hung up. I held the phone out to Givings.

"Who was that?"
"I don't know. One of the People Upstairs. He wanted to know the particulars about yesterday, so Doyle arranged for this single-use phone and the connection."
"So I get a raise, but no idea what happens going forward."
"Pretty much. Just keep doing the Random Events thing until the People Upstairs make some decisions." She stood, wrapping up what she had left, and stood quietly for a minute or two.
"I don't know what's going to happen going forward. Really, I don't. Whatever it is, you seem to be involved. Take care of yourself, and try not to let them use you. They're good at that."

Before I could reply, she turned and walked away.

I sat for a while but thinking was getting me no where. Anyway, I was getting hungry. Time for a late breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment