Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Opportunity, Lost and Found.............

It's been almost 2 weeks since I last heard from Doyle, or anyone that he works with or for. 2 weeks since the unofficial end of Phase 2 - as they called it. It's also the end of August, and almost the unofficial end of the Summer. It got me thinking - everything ends, and what frightens us is that we don't know what happens next. But the end of August means the start of September, the end of Summer means the start of Fall, and the end of Phase 2 means....I'm not sure, but I do know I'll be involved so I'm trying not to worry about it.

When Phase 1 ended back in February, I had no idea of what would happen next, and they even took away the Flasher. Now, I know - one way or another - I'll be involved in whatever happens next, and I still have the new Flasher. I guess you could say that things are looking up.

 Right now I have no assignments, no quotas. I'm freelancing, keeping my hand in. Staying sharp. That doesn't mean that every encounter becomes an Event.

One day last week, I was browsing through the local Barnes and Nobles. Most of the books that interest me - including graphic novels - are on the 2nd floor. They also have chairs, situated at the end of certain rows, facing the windows overlooking the parking lot. As I wandered around, I noticed a man sitting off by himself, in the section overlooking the entrance to the mall. He was alone. There was no one around. I took out the Flasher, and held it down by my leg. I walked slowly around the nearest rack. Still no one. And the angle of the building would keep the flash from being seen from outside. And yet, I didn't do it. I had a feeling that I'd used this scenario before. I didn't want to create any patterns.

Another day, I was in Avenel. Driving down Lord St. towards Denny's. I passed a Woodbridge taxi, and pulled up at the stop sign on Prospect. To my left, there was an old man struggling to put away his garbage cans. There was no one else around. Even the taxi had left. I turned the Flasher over in my hand. I looked at the old man. I drove away. There had been too many Events staged on Prospect recently.

 Later that day, I found myself in the library in Rahway. It's a nice building, and part of the Municipal complex. I was coming down the stairs having finished there, when I noticed a man waiting for the elevator. He was the only one in the lobby. As I came off the staircase, the elevator arrived. I moved closer. The elevator opened. He entered. I had the Flasher in my hand. The elevator closed, and he went up. It was part of the Municipal complex, and I couldn't take the chance of there being cameras around.

This morning, I was in Metuchen and decided to see if I could get to Inman Ave. from Middlesex Ave. I turned left just passed Main St., and headed up. Unfortunately, I hit a cross street and could only go left or right. Since I wasn't sure exactly where I was, I decided to make a u-turn and head back to an area I was more familiar with. As I turned, I saw the man. He was watering his front lawn. I didn't know the street name, but I did know there was no one else around. No people, no cars. I held the Flasher loosely, and lowered the passenger window. I came closer. Still no one. Point, press, Flash. I finished my turn, and went back the way I came. The confirm came 10 minutes later.

Opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment