Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Celebrate..........

Doyle called last night. We met inside the Woodbridge Main Library, in the New Books room because of the chance of rain. There are 2 chairs set off by themselves in the back, and he was seated in one, leaning back, legs stretched out, with his hands behind his head. He sat up as I came in.

"This is purely a social call." He said. "Congratulations!"
"What? Why?"
"Well, your birthday was this past Saturday, right? That's one reason."
"OK. That's true." Doyle always makes me suspicious. "You said 'one', are there other reasons?"
"Come on, Denny . . don't you know what today is?"
I thought about it for a bit, but couldn't come up with anything.
"Other then my nephew's birthday, I can't think of a thing. And I can't see what you'd have to do with my nephew."
He laughed. I think it was a laugh.
"No. We don't have any interest in your nephew. Today is your Anniversary."
"What? What Anniversary?"
"It's been a year since you agreed to help us out with the project. So, Happy Anniversary!"
I took the time to look around the room. There was no one else here. That would be strange except for the fact that Doyle was here. I'm sure he made some kind of arrangement.

"As I recall, I didn't actually agree. You threatened my daughter. I didn't have much of a choice."
"Lets not quibble about it, Denny. Whatever the reasons, it's been a year, and you should know we're very happy with the results. In fact, I understand that one of the People Upstairs spoke to you after that triple you pulled off."
"According to Givings, you arranged that call, so don't play innocent with me."
"OK. True. But that doesn't change things. You've done well this year. Very well. Better then expected, in fact."
"Givings told me the same thing. Do you have anything new to add?"
"Just my congratulations. And something to think about. The People Upstairs like you. They are impressed - as I think has been said before - with how you've handled yourself."
"I've heard that."
"Yeah, well, as of now Phase 2 is unofficially over. You can continue with Random Events if you choose, until around mid-September, but the People Upstairs don't need any other proof."
"Proof of what?"
"Your abilities. The only thing open now is how to proceed. The People Upstairs are divided over how to proceed, which of 2 directions hey should follow. But they're on vacation now, and won't be meeting again until the 15th of September. There's some behind the scenes stuff going on, but I'm not involved, so I don't know what's happening."
"Can you tell me anything about either direction?"
"Nope. But you do play a prominent part in both, so I wouldn't worry about you future. In the short term, anyway."
"What do you mean, short term?"

He got up, stretched, and smiled again.
"Happy Anniversary, Denny."

He turned and walked away. I waited until people started coming in, then left.

No comments:

Post a Comment