Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Road Trip ............

When I checked my outdoor thermometer before I left my apartment this morning it was already 49, and the sun was shining brightly. Today, I decided, I was going to take a drive down into Monmouth County.  I haven't been down there in months and I was looking forward to this.

I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts and picked up some breakfast for the ride. I chose a medium, unsweetened iced tea instead of a decaf coffee, and I was wearing sneakers instead of my waterproof boots.




Today was my own, personal "First Day of Spring".

I had the radio on CBS-FM as I drove down Route 9 onto Route 35 and turned onto Middle Road in Hazlet. I stopped at the library, but didn't find anything interesting. I got back onto Middle Road and headed towards Middletown. I went to make a right turn when this bike rider shot past me. If I'd made the turn I would've hit him.




I didn't turn. I followed him and when I passed him ..

Point, press, Flash.

I took the next right and continued on towards Middletown. Along here, I passed the set of offices where the real estate agent who sold us our first house used to work. He got us a good deal, but I'm pretty sure he cut a lot of corners. I didn't see his name among the signs.

I stopped at the Middletown Library and picked up a couple of books. I was still thinking about our old house and I decided - spur of the moment - to take a drive past it.

I made a right on Thompson, by the Target, and headed towards Route 36. I passed the office where my daughter's pediatrician used to work - it's a dental office now. Up ahead I saw this guy walking on the opposite side of the street.





There was no one else around.

Point, press, Flash.

I made a left onto Route 36 and headed towards Union Beach. I passed the building where our real estate lawyer used to work. It's still there but he isn't.

I made a right onto Anderson Street. The house is still there and still looks the same. Except we didn't have the mailbox, they've taken out the bushes that were in front of the kitchen windows, the fence is gone, and the front steps are missing.




By now, I was getting kind of nostalgic. Maybe because this is where my daughter was born and raised and now she's going to have a baby of her own.

Oh well, someone once compared life to a river - you either go with the flow or you drown. I headed back.

It was starting to cloud over now, and was feeling cooler.

They're still doing construction work on Route 35 North, but there was very little traffic so it didn't cause me much of a delay. Just as I was coming up on Lawrence Harbor I saw this guy.




Sometimes, I just can't resist it.

Point, press, Flash.

I stayed on 35 instead of getting back on 9. This took me up through Perth Amboy. I came up on this guy waiting on a corner.




And sometimes I can resist. The area was just too open.

I stopped at Wegman's and picked up some things.

I headed home.

It turned out to be a bit more nostalgic then I had expected but I enjoyed the ride.

There's nothing like a road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment