Monday, March 30, 2015

A Good Day ............

I haven't slept well the last few nights. There's nothing really wrong, it's just a touch of anxiety. My daughter is expecting her first child - my first grandchild - any day now so I keep waking up every hour or so to check my phone. I'm afraid I might sleep through the call. I'm tired, but it's a good thing.

This morning I got up at my usual time (between 6:30 and 6:45) to check my vitals and take some pills. I then went back to bed for another 1 1/2 hours. Around then, the kids upstairs are stomping around getting ready for school. I got washed up, dressed, and was out the door by about 8:45. It was a bit chilly, but it wasn't raining. I had some errands to run, and a plan on how to do them.

I forgot to mention this before but - a couple of weeks ago - I finally had a radio installed in my car.




It was a belated Christmas present from some family members and I still forget to turn it on right away. I'm getting better with it though and, one of these days, I'll check the manual for how to use the CD Player. Still, having music and news in stereo instead of through a single ear bud is a good thing.

My first stop was ShopRite. I go there a lot but on Mondays and Thursdays I also pick up my lottery tickets. Today, there was no line. And I picked up some Ritz Crackers that were on sale - 2 boxes for $3. Those were good things.

I headed up St. George and then realized that I meant to stop for gas. I cut through some back streets and then through a Krauser's parking lot. That's where I saw this guy smoking a cigarette.




Point, press, Flash.

I drove back to the Wawa's on Routes 1 & 9 and filled up. $2.01 a gallon. That's a good price.

I stopped for the paper then had breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts - a medium decaf coffee and a toasted blueberry muffin with butter. I sat down with my book but didn't get much reading done. I could hear the conversation that these two guys nearby were having. They were in the middle of agreeing that we were probably being observed by aliens and that the government knew about it. By the time I'd finished eating, they were discussing why no one could get a clear picture of Big Foot and whether it would be legal or not to shoot him.

Breakfast and a comedy show. That's a good thing.

Next stop, WalMart - they have a prescription ready for me. Because of where I was parked, I couldn't just turn up Avenel. I had to cut through some back streets to Prospect and come out there. When I stopped at the sign to make the left I saw the checkpoint.



My inspection sticker is up-to-date, I was wearing my seat belt, and all my documents were good. Still, they had traffic backed up and they'd pulled a bunch of cars over already. I made my turn without getting involved .That's definitely a good thing

WalMart had my prescription ready and there was no line at the Pharmacy counter. It was still early so I decided to drive down Amboy Avenue through the Clara Barton section and then make the right turn onto Main Street into Metuchen.

It was overcast out but it was warm in the car and I was enjoying the music. The only problem was the potholes.

The winter had been so bad that there isn't one street that I've been on that doesn't have at least a couple of them. The main roads aren't too bad because the townships have been trying to keep them filled. I've seen the work crews out - here and there - for the last couple of weeks. But the side streets and back roads look like a war zone. There are some streets that are so bad that they've had to close sections of them completely while they redo them.

This took me out of my way and I wound up driving up James Street to get around one of these. Along there, I saw this woman heading my way.




I was too busy watching out for the potholes to pay too much attention to her. I made it to New Dover and turned right.

The road along here was in much better shape, probably due to the upscale nature of the neighborhood, and I was able to look around a bit more. Up ahead, I saw this guy preparing to do some line work.




These guys always kinda bothered me. They have different size trucks that do the same thing but they always seem to use the really big ones on these narrow two-way streets. I had to slow as I passed him.

Point, press,Flash.

I drove around him and headed home.

I stopped at Subways and picked up a 12-inch tuna on Italian with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sweet pepper, and mayo.

I was home in time to watch "The Price Is Right".

It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment