Thursday, July 25, 2013

Two Days in July.........

After weeks of backbreaking heat, burning sun, and brutal humidity we got a real break yesterday. Yes, the sun was out but somehow it felt less severe. The humidity was gone. The breeze was cooling. It was like an early Spring day and I was out early.

With nothing to do and no where in particular to be, I lowered all the windows on my car and just drove around. I decided to start in Sewarren since I hadn't been there in a while. They've come a long way since Sandy hit them, and the improvements showed. People were back in their houses and the streets were free of debris.

Along one of the side streets I came across this guy.




I pulled over to the side, pretending that I'd gotten a phone call and miming a conversation on my cell as I watched him go from house to house. I came to the conclusion that he was leaving fliers in the mailboxes. I left him to it, and drove on.

It was too nice a day and I was in too good a mood. Still, I started to feel the urge.

I drove into Avenel, and entered the PathMark shopping area. As I made the turn, this guy was in front of me.





This time, I had to drive on by. It was just too open. Damn!

I decided not to go into the store, but drove around the back. That's where I came upon this guy, loading some stuff in his trunk.




I had the itch now. It was like something crawling under my skin. I looked around quickly but we were alone. I swung my car to the right so that he'd be on my driver's side.

Point, press, Flash.

I left the lot and headed up St. George's Avenue into Rahway. There's a comic book store in a strip mall up there that I haven't been to in a while and I wanted to see if they were still there and, if so, what their hours were.

Having checked that out, I drove around the back so that I could come out at a light. That's when my phone went off. I pulled over to answer it.

It was an automated message from my pharmacy that a prescription I'd called in was ready. I cut it off and was going to drive off when I saw this guy.




He was on his way back to his truck, and I was in the perfect place. I inched a bit forward as he entered the back of his truck. I had plenty of time to look around.

Point, press, Flash.

I made the turn, caught the light, and carried on with my day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night it was so cool that I had to get up for a blanket. After that, I slept like a baby. In fact, I was  so comfortable that I slept in this morning.

It was like a day in September today. The kind of weather that I like, although maybe it could've had a bit more sunshine. I only had the 2 front windows open in the car.

I needed to do some food shopping, so I headed for the local ShopRite. The landscaping/cleaning crew was there making a lot of noise and walking through the lot without regard for any of the shoppers. When I'd gotten what I went for, I sat in my car watching this one guy drag a garbage can full of trimmings across the lot - paying no attention to anyone trying to go in or out of the lot.




I watched him climb into the back of his truck then started my car. I drove down one row then up the next so that he'd be on my passenger side. There was no one in the immediate vicinity and I took a chance.

Point, press, Flash.

I drove home, dropped off what I'd bought, and drove out towards Fords. I was going to go to the thrift store in South Plainfield because Thursdays are discount days for cardholders (and I am one), but they wouldn't be open for another hour. I drove in and out of several of the cross streets until I came across this guy.




He was moving at a good clip, and there was no one else around. I passed him on my passenger side.

Point, press, Flash.

I didn't find anything I liked at the thrift store so I headed home.

Yesterday was like an early Spring day and today was like one from the Fall.

That seems a little strange but it's just two days in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment