Friday, July 5, 2013

An Interesting Day

It used to be that the really hot weather didn't come in until August. That isn't true anymore. Lately, we've been dealing with heat waves, where there's nothing but bright sun and blistering heat, mixed with depressingly overcast days with crushing humidity. The last few days have been a mixture of both.

Now I go out earlier then usual because I want to be home before the sun starts to bake things. I never leave my house with less then 4 bottles of water. I've dealt with dehydration before and I don't want to have to deal with being hospitalized again.

I drove up St. George Avenue to Shoprite. I wanted to get today's paper, my usual lottery tickets, and to see what was on sale. To get to that parking lot, you have to take a jug-handle (a distinctly New Jersey way of making a left turn) so I was in the right lane. As I got closer, the car to my left sped up, cut me off, and made the turn ahead of me.

Son of a Bitch.

I followed, and parked on his left side. He was on the phone.




I didn't think. I just acted.

Point, press, Flash.

I went into the store, bought what I went for and a blueberry muffin for breakfast, and got back into my car.

I was feeling good.

Interesting.

I had a prescription to pick up at Walmart, so I cut through a nearby housing development to get to Route 9. Along the way I passed Pelzman Park and saw this guy heading my way.




It's a quiet, out-of-the-way area and we were the only one's around.

Point, press, Flash.

I made the left onto Avenel, the left onto Route 9, and headed for Walmart.

I picked up my prescription, opened the muffin and a bottle of water and headed for Metuchen. The library would be opening soon.

There was nothing interesting at the library and I headed for the thrift shop in South Plainfield that I frequent.

Nothing interesting there either. I had finished the muffin and was on my second bottle of water. I was headed for home when I remembered something.

I live in Woodbridge Proper. They have some interesting parking regulations, but I'm exempt because I have a Resident Parking Permit. Well, the other day I noticed that my permit was due to expire soon, so I decided to stop by the Municipal Building on Main Street and get it renewed.

I drove down to Route 27 and, as I was coming up to my turn off, came up behind this jogger.




 I found it interesting that this guy was out jogging in this heat. No one else was. In fact, there was no one else around at all.

Point, press, Flash.

I made my turn and got to the Municipal Building in about 20 minutes.

There was no problem renewing my permit.

As I was leaving, 2 policemen came in. They were discussing the fact that they'd found a guy dead in his car in the Shoprite parking lot earlier. It was the heat, they decided.

I smiled to myself as I walked back to my car.

It had been an interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment