Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Not Just The Heat....................

I have to admit that this spate of heat, coupled with the humidity, is getting to me. There doesn't appear to be a break in the pattern, and the storms we've had - pretty heavy at times - haven't really helped. Except to increase the mosquito population.

I've kept to my routine, going out early each day, running errands, visiting libraries, watching for opportunities, and getting home before noon. I can then spend the rest of the day in a cooler environment.

Wednesday morning, I stopped by the Main Library in Woodbridge. I took the back way through several side streets and driving around the back of the high school. Pulling into the back lot, I noticed that there were no other cars around. I shrugged it off as being too early. When I got to the front door, I realized I was way too early - they open at 10 AM during August. Oh well. I went back to me car. As I headed out I passed this older woman getting out of her car.



Like I said, it was way too early.

Point, press, Flash.

I went for breakfast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday morning, I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for a bagel to go, and headed for Edison. I used to work at Middlesex County College, and thought I'd drive around through the apartment complexes near there. It didn't take long before I saw this guy.



He was wearing a slouch hat, with a towel around his neck, and was listening to music through head phones. He had no idea that any else was around.

There was no one else.... but me.

Point, press, Flash.

He slumped into the nearby yard as I passed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't usually look to stage Events on the weekend. There's just too many people around. But sometimes something presents itself. I was on my way to Wegman's, which is set off to the left of a small shopping area. It's all by itself and, from Main Street, is blocked by bushes. Bushes that need trimming. Trimming that, apparently, is done on a Saturday morning. One of the crew was on this side, all by himself.



I had enough time to check out the surrounding area. None of the other stores were open this early.

Point, press, Flash.

I stopped at Wegman's and bought a 12 pack of ginger ale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the weekend was quiet, and I headed out early on Monday. I drove through Metuchen and took back streets up to St. Joseph's. I've been wanted to check out the grounds so I drove through. As I rounded one of the buildings, I came on this guy trimming the shrubbery.



There was no one with him. No one walking around. No other cars.

Point, press, Flash.

I headed back into Metuchen proper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning, I was out even earlier. I had a plumber coming at 9 AM to unclog my kitchen sink and I was afraid it might turn into an all day process, based on the kind of people my landlord usually hires. I had a couple of errands to run and I knew the supermarket and the post office lobby were open. Driving through the back streets of Avenel, I saw this guy mowing his lawn. I didn't have a lot of time but I stopped across from him.



It looked like he was struggling with it.

Point, press, Flash.

I dropped off my bills at the post office and was home before the plumber showed up.
Surprisingly, he was a professional, and was done in about 1/2 an hour.

I stayed inside the rest of the day. Like I said, this weather's been getting to me.

And it's not just the heat, it's the humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment