Sunday, August 26, 2012

Between a Rock and a Hard Place..............

It's been a slow week. Well......that's not entirely true. I've been slow about getting on with things. I have some excuses. Family matters, the weather, other things I work on. But the bottom line is that these are just excuses. The real reason is where I find myself now, in relation to Doyle and Gordon.

This past Tuesday morning, I drove up into Iselin. It's a small community that's wedged in between Woodbridge proper, Colonia, and Edison. I pass through it a lot, and I have to admit that I'm not really sure where Colonia stops off and Iselin begins. I may even have staged a few Events here before. They do have a branch library and a used book store that I drop by from time to time.

They also have a Catholic school - St. Cecelia's - which was closed after the last school year. They have a very strong sports program which the community intends to continue, but attendance has dropped off drasticall, as is the case in so many other parochial schools. Now the building sits vacant, looming over the intersection of Green Street, Route 27, and Oak Tree Road in an area known locally as Little India.

I drove around the back. That's where I came up behind this guy.




It was quiet back here. I imagine that was why he walked here. It was what I was hoping for when I came this way. There was no one else around.

Point, press, Flash.

I drove up into Edison.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning, I was up earlier then usual. I've mentioned before that my routine is different on Sundays, but the mass I attend wouldn't start until 8 and it was only 6:30. I took a leisurely drive through Sewaren, a section of Woodbridge that runs along the Raritan Bay. At this time of the morning, everyone who's up is out on the bay fishing. Well, almost everyone. I saw this guy just before I turned off Woodbridge Avenue. He wasn't carrying any fishing gear so I guessed he was just out for a walk.




I slowed, and reached him just as he came up beside a row of hedges. He never looked my way. No one else did either.

Point, press, Flash.

I headed for Avenel. I stopped to get the papers, then headed for St. Andrew's and the morning mass.

I had breakfast at Denny's, again. I've developed a taste for their Southwestern Skillet. A bit on the spicy side, but really good.

I stopped at Wegman's, bought some things for lunch and supper, then headed home.

Now I'm sitting here trying - again - to work things out in my head.

Gordon came to me and attempted to explain himself. He's crazy, but he's smart too. And he blames Jones for the predicament he's in. I can understand his point. Jones' people tried to take me out last year (they blamed me for killing Givings when it was clearly an honest mistake). Jones and Smith came to an understanding of sorts, eventually. But I hadn't forgotten. I owed Jones for that.

And yet, Doyle has been there for me since Day 1. Sure, he recruited me (or set me up) but I believe that he's always been on my side, and has backed me up all along the line. I owe Doyle for that.

I should help Doyle get Gordon. I could do it. But Doyle had said that the Project would probably get shut down. What would happen to me? I trusted Doyle, but not Jones.

I still can't work it out. No matter how I look at it I'm stuck....

between a rock and a hard place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment