Monday, July 23, 2012

No More Chances............

Last night I couldn't help thinking about my conversation with Doyle. It came down to sticking with the plan. My part was to escalate Events, and his part was to trail me until Gordon made contact, then grab him. Sounds easy but it hasn't worked so far and I'm afraid I know why - I haven't really escalated anything.

I've relied completely on chance encounters. Sometimes I'd get a couple of Events in one day, but then days or week may go by until I had another. I decided to go back on the hunt, like I'd had in the early days.

I woke up early, and was out of the house at a little after 8. I decided to go up through Woodbridge then through Avenel. I had the windows open and the Flasher at the ready. After only a few minutes, I saw the man walking ahead of me.



I slowed a bit, checking the surrounding area. No one else around. I came up beside him.

Point, press, Flash.

In my rearview mirror, I saw him drop into the bushes on the side.

I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for a bagel and unsweetened iced tea, then drove towards Colonia. It was quiet here, too. Driving around for a while, I came across another guy while crossing over one of the streams that criss-cross this area.




We were alone out here. I passed him just as he reached the lower guard rail.

Point, press, Flash.

I didn't look back, but I'm pretty sure he went over the rail and down the slope to the stream. I headed for Iselin. It was getting on towards 9:30.

I drove through the streets here, slowly. An occasional car passed by, but I didn't come across anyone for about 1/2 hour. That's when I saw the PSE&G meter reader.



She was just off the corner, in the shadows of a back yard fence. She was the only one around back here.

Point, press, Flash.

I headed for Edison. It was starting to get hot out, so I was only going to stay at it until 11.

15 minutes later, I came across this guy who'd been out walking but now sought the shelter of some shade.



There was no one else around here, either on foot or driving. I pressed my luck, stopped, and went for the long shot.

Point, press, Flash.

He dropped to the side, and I headed home.

Tomorrow, I'd head down to Monmouth, still on the hunt.

Not relying on chance encounters anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment