Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Time Has Come............

It took a while, but Doyle called. We met at the Burger King in the Woodbridge Center Mall. He brought Givings with him.

"Well, Denny Boy, you did it. 12 Events in 6 months. Frankly, I don't think the People Upstairs thought you could do it."
"It's done, though. So what happens next?"
""First, we get back the Flasher. Givings will take charge of it."

I took it from my back pocket and handed it to he. It's such an innocuous looking thing that there was no need to conceal it. Giving took it, puled out a small notebook from somewhere, and made some sort of notation. She put the notebook and the Flasher in her side pocket.

"Anything else?" I wanted this whole thing over.

Nothing like that. The People Upstairs are grateful that you were able to carry out this assignment..I mean complete the project. There's just a few things more that they want you to understand."
"Then get on with it."
"OK. They thank you, I've said that. They want you to know that your family is no longer in danger of whatever it is you thought might happen to them. And they want me to remind you that you're still carrying around the tracer and they haven't decided what to do with it yet."
"What does that mean? Are they gonna leave it, or try to have it removed? For Christ's sake, Its implanted in my heart!"
"Technically, it's implanted in James' heart. You just happen to get it as a transplant. But that's neither here nor thee. What matters is that you still have it, and it belongs to us. The People Upstairs are still deciding how to proceed."

At that point, Givings stood up.

"It was a pleasure working with you." She said. "You did what you were told."

She walked out into the mall. Doyle looked after her for a while then turned to me.

"It's not over, Denny. I don't know what's gonna happen, but I don't think that the People Upstairs are just gonna let it end this way. They still have a hold on you, and they ere pleased with how you handled things."
"What do you mean? What am I supposed to do?"
"I don't know. If I did, I'd tell you. I like you, Denny. You seem like nice guy. If I can help you, I will, but the People Upstairs aren't to be fooled with. I may be part of the Department, but I'm as expendable a the next guy."
"So, you're telling me that I'm stuck? I'm still in it?"
"For now, yeah. You'll just have to wait and see. They may let you go, but that tracker is an expensive piece of equipment. They'll want to do something about that. My advice is o just wait and see."

He stood up and offered me his hand. I stared at him, and didn't take it.

"Good luck, Denny. Somehow, I'll be in touch."

He walked out into the mall, following Givings.

What the hell happens now?

No comments:

Post a Comment