Tuesday, February 16, 2010

For Information Call Four 11......

We've had a lot of snow lately. To me it seems like we've had more snow this year then we've had in a while, and personally, I'm sick of it. There was a big storm predicted for a week ago last Saturday, and we got a dusting. Then last Wednesday another "huge" storm was predicted, and we got about 14 inches. Another storm this morning, but not really of any consequence.

Anyway, it's last Wednesday's storm that I'm noting here. The snowed all day Wednesday, so by Thursday morning everyone was out assessing the damage. The roads, I have to say, were incredibly well cleaned. The best I've seen, ever. Unfortunately, this means that those of us who park on the streets have the added bonus of having to dig out from being plowed in. This on top of the 14 inches.

I went out in the morning, like everyone else, and cleaned off the car, which took a while, as you can imagine. But I wasn't going anywhere, because of the plow job. I figured I'd wait, and see how I was feeling in the afternoon. By 3 o'clock, the car in front of me had pulled out, which would've been a good thing, but someone had jumped into the space and was too close to my front grill for me to do anything. I went out anyway to move off some of the plowed snow.

Suddenly, a woman came over. She worked for the dentist across the street, and it was her car in front of me. She offered to move it, and in about 20 minutes or so, I was free! Of course, now I had to find a place I could park now, without getting myself stuck.

I drove around in my small community, and found a place on Melbourne, a small 2 block street that connects Claire to Green. But I noticed something else as well. Everyone else had stopped working on freeing their cars except for an old man just off the corner of Green on Melbourne. I had to drive around the block anyway in order to get to the spot I'd picked out.

I made the 3 corners and approached Melbourne on Green. I took out the Flasher, lowered the window on the driver's side, and signaled for the turn. There was no one around, at least as far as I could see. I figured that the flash would be absorbed in the glare of the sunlight off the snow anyway. I made the turn, he was still there, point, press, Flash, and I moved up the block towards the space. I didn't see him fall, just maneuvered into the space, locked the car, and returned to my apartment.

The confirm came in as I opened the outside door to my building.

No comments:

Post a Comment