Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Little Things ..............

Over the last couple of weeks I've been thinking a lot about the little things. You know, how sometimes they can annoy us and at others they can make our day.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Late last week, I was on my way home and stopped at the red light on Amboy and Main. A State Police SUV pulled up on my driver's side and lowered his passenger window. I had no choice but to lower my window, too.

"Do you know that your brake lights are out?" Of course, I had no idea.
"No, sir, I didn't."
"The right side and the center. Fix them." He raised his window. He was done.
If it had been a local cop, I might've gotten a ticket.

The next morning, I got up early to get the lights replaced. I had the manual and checked out how to do it, but I didn't have the right tools. I'd need to buy them and have them installed.

I stopped first at the Auto Zone near Shoprite. There was a young woman working inside who made no attempt to help me. I tried to figure out the parts book, but it was Greek to me. I left and drove up St. George's to the Advanced Auto near Dunkin' Donuts. One of the guys came right over and helped me find the bulbs. He couldn't install them - store policy - but he sent me to a garage who would.

Customer Service is such a small thing.

I turned right onto New Brunswick and then right onto East Inman. I saw this guy coming my way.






I passed him by as I headed for the garage.

There were two guys inside just sort of hanging around. It took one of them less then 10 minutes to put the bulbs in. When I asked how much I owed him, he told me to forget it - it wasn't any trouble. Maybe, he suggested, I'd remember them the next time I needed some work done. I drove away. Another small thing that made my day.

I stopped at a Hess Station and filled up. $2.09.

Saturday, I passed the same Hess Station. They were now $2.19. $.10 a gallon is a small thing but it was in my favor.

I picked up the paper, stopped at Dunkin' Donuts, and drove to the Menlo Park Mall to enjoy my ritual. I then drove through Edison into Iselin, heading for the Foodtown. I picked up something for supper and was walking back to my car when I heard this guy.




He was wearing headphones, walking around beside his minivan, and carrying on a loud, animated conversation with someone. I know, it's a small thing, but it annoys me. I drove away.

Sunday, I went to mass, had a nice breakfast, and just decided to drive around for a while since it was such a nice day. I was on New Dover Road when I came up on this guy.




Since we were just outside of St. Helen's Church I passed him by. Going to mass is a small thing  that gives comfort to a lot of people.

I stopped at a Wendy's for lunch. I'd been carrying around a gift card I'd gotten last year and I finally got a chance to use it. A small thing, but tasty.

Monday it rained. I was out for about an hour and a half. Nothing happened except that when I passed the Hess Station, they were up to $2.29.

Today, I had a couple of things I wanted to do. First on the agenda, an oil change at 8 Minute Oil on St. George's. From there, I stopped at Shoprite for my lottery tickets (as usual) and went to the nearby Taco Bell's for breakfast. This was because of another gift card I'd been carrying around. I had their new Bacon and Egg wrap meal. It wasn't bad but the bits of bacon kept falling out.

As I left, traffic at the exit was slowed due to the landscapers working there. I finally got to the exit and had to wait while this guy stood in the street to take pictures of their work.




I would have used the Flasher, but it was too open.

I stopped at my favorite Thrift Shop but didn't find anything. I stopped at the library in Metuchen and picked up copies of Hammett's "The Maltese Falcon" and Chandler's "The Big Sleep" for $.50 each. Small things that make me happy.

I headed Down Route 27 and then right on Gill Lane. This passes through a cemetery. I saw this young man up ahead.




I just kept going. It was a cemetery after all.

I stopped at the Verizon Store near the Woodbridge Center Mall. My phone is pretty old and I wanted to see what my options were. I've had some problems here in the past having to do with the plan I'm on and I was anticipating the same thing. It started out that way, but the young man quickly turned things around and showed me what I could do. I'll be going back next month.

Customer Service - just saying.

I stopped at Wegman's and got a prepackaged salad and a small container of chopped onions and celery. I cut through one of the business complexes to get back to Main Street, heading home.

I parked by my house and checked my emails before going in. I had one from my daughter. Another picture.

You see, the reason that little things have been on my mind recently is that back on April 5th ( Easter Sunday ) she gave birth to her first child - my first grandchild. She was born at 11:39 P. M., weighed 8 lbs., 9 oz., and measured 20 inches.

Since then, Doyle has called to congratulate me and I found a card from Gordon slipped under my door (although I'm not sure how he knew so quickly).

It's been 6 1/2 years since my transplant and things keep happening.

And the best ones have been the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment