Monday, April 27, 2015

Compulsion ...............

The only thing I wanted to get done today was to stop at the library and print out my monthly checking account statement. I do this every month. I've been criticized for doing this since I can see it online but I like to balance my account and printing my statement helps me to do that. I guess you could call it a compulsion.

I left my house around 8:40 so I'd be at the library when they open at 9. I took Rahway to Freeman. Along the way I came up behind this woman.





It was tempting but the High School is just behind those trees and there was a lot of traffic. I drove on to the library.

I printed out my statement and, on my way out, stopped at their sales table. I picked up "Dune: House Atreides" and "Dune: House Corrino" by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson for $.50 a piece.  I've always liked the original "Dune" series by Frank Herbert and these were part of a prequel co-written by his son. There was just one problem.




These are part of a trilogy - actually, they are parts 1 and 3. Part 2 is missing.

Now, I haven't read either of the books I'd just bought but I knew that I needed to find a copy of part 2. I'm a collector. It's a compulsion.

I headed up St. George but got stuck at the railroad crossing.





This gave me some time to leaf through part 1. This reinforced my need for part 2.

There were 2 stores I could get to that might have what I was looking for but they wouldn't be open until 10. I stopped for my lottery tickets, picked up the paper, and had breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts. I got back on St. George and drove up to Inman where I turned left and saw this woman coming towards me.


 


I didn't even consider it. I was focused on a used book store that I've been to before.

I stopped at the Book Trader but they didn't have what I was looking for.

Next stop - the used book store on Main Street in Metuchen. I drove down Inman to Grove. Just before I turned off to park behind the library I saw this guy.




He's kind of a regular around here and I've seen him in the library a couple of times. But I'm on a mission right now so I passed him by.

The used book store didn't have what I was looking for. I headed home. As I crossed the Edison/Woodbridge border I saw this guy.




So far, I've been frustrated in my search. I took it out now.

Point, press, Flash.

I got the parking spot right outside of my living room.

I logged on to my laptop, accessed my account with Better World Books, and ordered part 2 - "Dune: House Harkonnen".

I would have preferred to have the book in my hand but I settled for ordering it at a discount price. What can I say.

It's a compulsion.

No comments:

Post a Comment