Saturday, August 2, 2014

They Remain The Same.......

Over the last couple of weeks several things that I've had for years just stopped working.

 First, it was the Blood Pressure Monitor that they gave me when I left the hospital back in December of 2008. I had to replace that. It's a different unit but the readout is the same.

Then, there was the pedometer that I've been using since early '09 but I didn't replace that. Frankly, I really haven't been keeping track of how far I walk each day so wearing the pedometer was more of a habit.

Then my watch stopped. I thought about not replacing it but I've worn one for over 50 years and that quick-glance-at-the-wrist gesture is hard to break. Besides, I prefer analog to digital when it comes to telling time. I had to replace it. It's a different color but the make and model is the same.

Now we come to the big one.

A week ago Thursday, I dropped off my car because I had a problem starting her up in the morning. When I went back Friday morning, my mechanic showed me that there was a gas leak in the engine and said that I was lucky that she hadn't burst into flames while I was driving. He'd never seen this before and it would cost at least $600 to fix the problem, assuming he could get the part from the Dealer. (I know what you might be thinking, but I trust this guy. He's treated me well over the years.)  He said he'd hold onto her until I decided what to do.

Of course, I would have to replace her, but I wasn't sure how. That's when I got lucky. A friend was selling a car to someone else who had an older car but was going to donate it. Long story short, I got the older car which, interestingly enough, is still newer then the car I had. The price was "minimal".

And this was how things went.

This past Tuesday, we all got together to arrange the exchange.




There was a lot of hurry-up-and-wait, and we had some trouble getting the plates off both cars, but Tuesday night is the late night at the MVC and we got all the paperwork done. I drove home in a 1999 Honda Civic.

Wednesday morning I went back to my mechanic. He agreed to just take the car and sell it for parts and I spent some time emptying the trunk and cleaning out the inside.




I drove away, leaving my old 1991 Chrysler New Yorker behind. I still had some things to take care of.

I ran a couple of quick errands then stopped at the Woodbridge Municipal Center. Because of the easy access to New York City by bus or train, we have some interesting parking restrictions where I live. I needed to get a Resident Parking Permit Sticker for my window so that I wouldn't get ticketed.

The last thing I had to do was to return the license plates (I had agreed to return them all). I went to the MVC office in South Plainfield and the whole exchange took less then 5 minutes.

Thursday and Friday were spent getting used to the "new" car - adjusting the driver's seat and the mirrors, learning the lights and wipers, just getting comfortable. I found out that the radio didn't work, which wasn't a big deal since the radio in the Chrysler didn't work either. (Again, a friend tried to help me out but that didn't work out).

When I woke up this morning it was raining but it had stopped by the time I went out. I had a few errands to run and was in no rush.

I stopped at the Post Office in Avenel and mailed my rent check.

I stopped at Shoprite for the paper.

I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast.

I stopped at the Menlo Park Mall and sat in a comfortable chair in one of the side courts, reading the paper and doing the crossword puzzle (It's sort of a Saturday ritual for me.). When I left there, the sun had broken through. I took the long way home, enjoying the ride and the hum of the engine. That's when I saw this woman up ahead.




I couldn't resist.

Point, press, Flash.

I drove on. I was feeling good. Maybe 10 minutes later I saw this guy up ahead.




I caught up to him just as he reached the trees.

Point, press, Flash.

I headed for home.

I was thinking that over the last week or so I'd had to change my Blood Pressure Monitor but the display was the same. I'd had to change my watch but the make and model was the same. I'd had to change my car but the color and number of doors stayed the same. It just goes to show - the more things change, the more ...

They remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment