Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Almost Back To Normal ...................

I've mentioned before that I've been had this situation with a recurring carcinoma on my forehead, just above my left eyebrow. Well, a week ago I went down to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick for some same-day surgery. (Thankfully, my daughter drove me down and stayed through the whole process.) I was knocked out completely but, I understand, the Oncologist went first and the Plastic Surgeon finished up with the reconstruction. When I came to in Recovery, I had this incredibly ugly-looking set of bandages covering my entire forehead and instructions on not getting it wet until I got to see the Plastic Surgeon again.

I had to wait until yesterday for the office visit, which meant that I couldn't wash my hair and was reduced to sponge baths for this past week. Thankfully, I found an old Rangers cap that I could wear over the bandages  so that I didn't feel too self-conscious going outside.

Yesterday, one of the nurses took off the bandages and the doctor took out some staples and some stitches (both of which I was unaware of). He said that everything looked good. Then the nurse applied some more bandages, wrapped my head in gauze, and gave me an appointment for two weeks from now. I would have to change the bandages myself every day until then but at least I won't have to use the gauze "turban".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning, to be honest, I was a little concerned about the bandages but everything went well. I washed my hair, shaved, and put on the new dressings without a problem. Of course, the new bandages still cover my entire forehead but they're nowhere near as conspicuous as the prior ones.

I was feeling good and I decided to take a ride and see what would happen.

I was tempted right off the bat. While getting into my car, I noticed this guy doing some landscaping across the street.





Conditions were good but it was just too close to home. I drove away. I stopped at Shoprite and wound up buying a sandwich that I could have for supper. This meant that I would need to swing back by my place to put it in the refrigerator. I took Freeman Street back and, as I stopped at the sign on Church Street, I saw this guy across the street.



This is one of those strange intersections where you really have to look around for traffic before proceeding. There was no one around and I made the left turn.

Point, press, Flash.

I dropped off the sandwich and headed towards the Dunkin' Donuts in Avenel. This would be the first time since the surgery that I felt comfortable enough to eat out. I had a Ham and Cheese Breakfast Wrap and a medium Iced Tea. Although the counter-girl did notice the bandage under my cap and asked about it, no one else paid any attention to me. As usual, I had a book with me and just sat there enjoying my breakfast. When I was done, I decided to head towards the Metuchen Library.

I drove up the block and made the right turn heading towards Avenel Street. That's where I saw this guy.




There was no one around but, as I watched this old guy push himself to keep going up the hill, I decided to drive by. I figured that if he could drag himself out to take a walk who was I to interrupt him.

Avenel Street becomes Chain-of-Hills Road which turns right into New Dover. As I drove along I could see that some of the side streets were closed due to different kinds of street work. On a whim, I turned up Wood Avenue and came across this guy working on some overhead wires.



This one was easy.

Point, press, Flash.

I kept going and made a left onto Inman.

I stopped at the library and picked up 2 new books. I thought about heading towards South Plainfield and the thrift store up there but decided against it.

I headed home, taking Main Street to Route 27. When I got to Grove Street, I made the right and headed up to Amboy Avenue. No particular reason, just enjoying the ride. That's when I saw this guy heading towards me.




It was quiet. It was peaceful. And he was already in the shadows.

Point, press, Flash.

I made the left on Amboy, the Right on Woodbridge, and followed that around to Rahway, parking on Claire.

It had been a good day and I was feeling ..

almost back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment