Tuesday, July 8, 2014

In The Mid-day Sun.................

Doyle called last night. He's out of town but he wanted me to know that he's heard about the carcinoma that has grown back again. He said he knew it would have to be cut out - again - and that a plastic surgeon would need to be there to help with the closing. He had his people check the guy out and he's one of the best so I shouldn't worry. I thanked him for that and we hung up. I won't actually meet the plastic surgeon until Monday and then he'll call the oncologist to schedule the procedure. I'll just have to sweat it out and, in this weather, that's pretty easy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was out very early this morning. Partly because I had some things to do and didn't want to be out too long in this heat. Partly due to the sound of a mower coming through my open windows at 7:30. I fed the cat, dressed lightly, and took my stuff - including 3 extra bottles of water and a package of mini-muffins - to the car. As I pulled out, I saw the source of the mower sound.




My windows were open already.

Point, press, Flash.

The first thing I wanted to do was to get my wash done so I headed directly to the Laundromat, located in the Shoprite strip mall. I like this place because they use a card-operated system so I don't have to bother saving up quarters and - since I usually go mid-week and early - it's not very crowded. Plus, I can get whatever shopping I need done while the wash in on.

Half an hour later, my wash was done and I dropped it off back at my apartment. Whatever breeze we had earlier is gone now and I can feel the humidity.

Next, I headed to the Main Library in Woodbridge. On the way, I came across this woman.




I don't know why she was out walking but at least she was on the shady side.

When I got to the library I asked to use one of their computers. I'd found the website for the plastic surgeon and they had a link to a PDF file with all the forms necessary for new patients. I don't have my own printer so - whenever I need to - I use the library's. This way, I'll fill them out ahead of time rather then go through that hassle you get on a first visit.

I left there and headed up to Avenel. I wanted to pay my cable bill. I could start to really feel the heat on my left arm and tried to move it out of the way, not very successfully. I made a right onto Remsen Ave. and another right onto Lord St. There was this guy working on his front lawn.



 He was using one of those loud, gas-powered weed whackers and the noise and fumes were obnoxious.

Point, press, Flash.

I parked on Mina St., dropped my payment in the box, and drove off.

I got gas at the Wawa Station on Route 9. $3.39. Not bad.

I had one more stop to make but it was only a little after 10, although the heat and humidity have been building. I've been drinking my water and eating my muffins so I decided to take the long way through Woodbridge Center. I entered off the Drive and cut through the Sears lot. That's where I saw this guy.




Smart guy, I thought. Taking his time. Staying in the shade.

I got back on the Drive and, after a few turns, got onto New Dover Road. At the intersection with Chain-of-Hills Road, where I was going to make my left, I saw this guy up ahead. I was ready when I made my turn.




Point, press, Flash.

I could feel the sweat on my back now. I headed for my last stop.

I picked up a 12-inch Tuna sub on Italian with lettuce, tomato, onion, sweet peppers, and mayo from the Subways near Pathmark. I headed home. I figured I'd be in by 11:30 at the latest.

In this kind of weather I always remember that, according to Noel Coward, only mad dogs and Englishmen go out ..

in the mid-day sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment