Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Slight Relapse..............

It's a funny thing but the older I get the more I dislike snow. Maybe because I live in New Jersey now. When I was living in the Bronx, I got around by bus or train so weather conditions didn't really bother me. Living in New Jersey, you really need a car to get around. That means that you have to clean it off - and, maybe, dig it out - every time it snows. And we've had three snow storms in the last week.

I really dislike snow.

Plus, the temperature has been below average. That means that the snow hasn't melted and, when the snow turned to rain, it turned to ice quickly.

Not a fan of that, either.

Today, however, the sun was out, and so was I. And I took the Flasher with me. I've been carrying it since Gordon visited me last week. It just makes me feel safer.

The side street that I was parked on hadn't been completely cleared, but I was fairly close to the corner, and the main road looked pretty good. Of course, I had to scrape the ice off.

I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes because it was so cold out. I checked my mirrors, then started to pull out when this plow truck jumped out of a nearby driveway and cut me off.



I've always found these guys to be a little too full of themselves. It's like they feel like I should be happy that they're clearing my street while piling up all the excess snow against the side of my car. And he didn't use his blinker when he turned right.

I pulled out and - using my blinker - turned right also. When we stopped at the light at Freeman Street, he was in the left lane and I was in the right. The sunlight on the snow created quite a glare. And I remembered that  the Flasher had an effect on car engines.

Point, press, Flash.

When the light changed, I drove away and he didn't.

That felt great.

I had a plan for today, and everything went well. I stopped at Shoprite and picked up some stuff for lunch and supper. I picked up the paper. I had breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts. I found a Toys for Tots drop-off at the Woodbridge Center Mall. You always feel good when things fall into place.

I headed home.

And then this idiot on a bike decided to cut across the street in front of me.




Thankfully, I was slowing down to make the right turn. I followed him around the corner. He stayed in the street, and I came up along side of him. Old habits die hard, and I'd been checking my mirrors. No one else was around.

Point, press, Flash.

He and the bike fell over and I continued my drive home.

Later on that day, I got the delivery of a Christmas present I had ordered. All in all, a good day except for ...

.. a slight relapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment