Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Some Things You Just Don't Do................

We're in a string of typical autumn weather. Usually, I enjoy days like this but not now. I've got something coming up that I'm not looking forward to and it's affecting my mood. I know it's nothing serious, but I can't help obsessing over it. This morning I was up and out early, trying to keep myself occupied - trying to not think about things.

I drove around through some of the side streets in Woodbridge. I was going to stop by the Main Library, but it wouldn't be open for another half hour. As I stopped at a light on Freeman Street I saw this woman walking towards me.




I looked around and saw that there was no one else around. The light was still red as she came up to the side of my car...and passed by.

It was Kitty.

Well, I think of her as Kitty. I think of her as Kitty because for the first year or so that I'd seen her walking to work she'd been wearing a Hello Kitty hat and carrying a similarly themed backpack.

She walks down St. George's Avenue from her apartment somewhere around the library. She walks all the way down to Main Street, then along there to Woodbridge Center Drive and ultimately to the Mall. I saw her there, once, working in one of the fast food restaurants. She was cleaning the tables, and was pleasant and friendly and seemed happy with her job.

I've never spoken to her. I don't know her. But she's familiar to me. So I put the Flasher back in my pocket.

There are some things that you just don't do.

About an hour later I was driving along Route 27, heading in the direction of the Edison/Metuchen border. This is just a one lane road, but at certain cross streets there's a left turn lane. This is true for Parsonage Road. I was stopped at the light when a silver sedan pulled into the left-turn lane. When we got the green I started forward and the sedan - instead of turning left - sped forward and cut me off.

There are some things you just don't do.

I followed behind him for a while and he turned into the Metuchen Municipal building parking lot. He stopped along the driveway. I drove around the corner, parked, and approached the lot from the back. I had no specific plan in mind. Maybe just to Flash the car so it wouldn't start.

Through the bushes surrounding the lot, I could see the sedan and the driver was standing next to it.



He appeared to be checking his messages, or texting. Either way, he was alone.

Point, press, Flash.

I turned around, and strolled back to my car. It was pretty quiet here, and bright enough that I was pretty sure that the Flash hadn't attracted any attention.

I drove on towards the Edison Main Library.

When I came out, Doyle was standing by my car.

"Hey, Doyle, fancy meeting you here?"
"Hiya, Denny, how're ya doin'?" We shook hands.
"Ah, you know, same old. What brings you out today? something to do with Gordon?"
"No..ah..actually it's not business." He looked a little embarrassed. "I was..wondering..how you're doing..what with that biopsy tomorrow and all."

Now I was embarrassed.

"I'm OK, Doyle. It's..you know..something I gotta take care of."
"Sure, sure, Denny..I know..it's just..did you consider anything else?"
"Doyle, it's not a big deal. He does it in his office."
"Yeah, but...couldn't you have waited a little longer?"
"Probably. But my PSA was high 2 months in a row. I could put it off another month but, with the immunosuppressants I'm on, I don't think the risk is worth it."

He didn't say anything.

"Doyle, look, I appreciate you're asking, you know? I'm really not worried about the outcome. If it's..you know..not so good, well, it's early on and can be treated. It's just..the biopsy itself, the process, that I'm not too thrilled about."

Neither of us said anything, for a minute or two. And we didn't look at each other either. Just 2 guys trying to talk about something that both of us were uncomfortable with.

"OK, well, I gotta go Denny. I just wanted to..um..wish you good luck."
He stuck out his hand. We shook. He walked away.

Guys don't talk about stuff like this.

It's something they just don't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment