Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer Days..............

I live in a first floor apartment in a 3-story building on a very busy street in Woodbridge. Woodbridge is a city - not on the same scale as Newark or New York, but you wouldn't know it from the traffic that passes by my building on a daily basis. Oh.. did I mention that my bedroom faces this busy street? During the seasons when I can keep the windows closed, it's not too bad, but even I have to open them during the summer.

Actually, at night, the traffic noise is minimal, so sleeping isn't a problem. The mornings, however, can be a different story. That's why I usually jump at the chance to house-sit for my friend in Avenel whenever she goes away. That's where I was for about a week and a half, just getting home this past Wednesday.

Avenel is part of Woodbridge, but it's more like a suburb, predominantly private houses. It's a quiet, residential area. For the most part, the only noise you get in the morning is bird-song, and at night it's crickets. For the most part. There's a new neighbor who is out early almost every day, with some sort of noisy, annoying gardening machine. A mower, an edger, a weed whacker, whatever. Every other day, at least. And early! 7:00 A. M. early!

Of course, I didn't say or do anything, since I didn't want to cause my friend a problem.

Like I said, I got home Wednesday, and did sleep well that night. As I was getting up Thursday morning I heard a series of noises outside. Apparently, the business across the street has hired a landscaper who showed up bright and early.



I do admit that they weren't as early as that neighbor guy in Avenel, but 8:00 is still early. It annoyed me so I looked it up, and the local ordinance allows them to be there that early.

Needless to say, I went out that morning feeling a little put out. And I drove up to and around Avenel for a while hoping to see the neighbor. I thought, fleetingly, of whether Del might be following me, buy I put him out of my mind. He hasn't actually done anything to me. Just left some stuff in my mailbox. I'm guessing Craig was right, and he was just sending a message. It didn't matter anyway since that neighbor wasn't out.

This morning, I woke to no loud noises, just the usual sounds of traffic. I took a ride towards the Main Library, but realized that they were on summer hours and wouldn't open until 10:00. I drove passed the back of the high school and saw a U-Haul in the parking lot. The driver was standing in the doorway of the cab.




 I made sure my windows were down, and the Flasher was ready. There was no one else around.

I slowed as I got closer. The driver never looked back, apparently concentrating on whatever he was doing. I closed in.

Point, press, Flash.

I kept driving as he sagged into the cab. I followed some back streets, exited to Rahway, and headed for Avenel.

The neighbor was out, working the curbside.




I pulled to the curb just passed him and got out. He didn't even look up. I stood there watching him for a few minutes, and checking the neighborhood. Like I said, it's quiet here. That worked to my advantage. I walked up to him and..

Point, press, Flesh.

He slid down the length of the edger as I got back in my car and drove away.

I could still hear it whirring when I turned the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment