Thursday, January 20, 2011

Arc 4

What Happens Next............

Doyle had called me on the night of the Givings incident. He wanted me to know that everything was good. That we'd speak soon. That "soon" was supposed to have been Tuesday, but another snow storm screwed that up. We agreed on this morning.

I had some blood work scheduled early, so we agreed to meet at the Woodbridge Mall Burger King when I got back. I always park at the Mall and take the bus to the hospital because it's just easier. We didn't set a time, but he'd know when I was on my way back. They keep a close eye on me.

Things went smoothly at the hospital, and I caught the 9:00 AM bus back, which got me in at 10:00. Doyle was standing beside my car, talking on his cell. As I got closer, he put the phone away, opened the passenger door and got in, which kinda pissed me off. I got in on the driver's side.

"What the..? How did you...?"
"Calm down, Denny. We arranged for you to get this car, remember? Anyway, I warmed her up and put gas in. You should be thanking me."
"Yeah, well.." I was calming down. Actually, I should've expected it. "I thought you wanted to meet at the Burger King?"
"Don't have the time today. Kinda on a tight leash. Besides, they don't have decaf coffee." His cell went off. He glanced at it, but didn't answer. "Things going on, and all. Just wanted to let you know that all is well with the Givings situation."
"Really? No one's the least bit put out that I did that?"
"Not really. She wasn't liked by many people. She was definitely not liked by the people who had to work with her."
"Then how did she get the job? You know, taking over for you?"
"Politics, Denny. See, there are two factions within the People Upstairs. Mr. Smith represents one. Mr., ah,.."
"Jones?"
"Yeah, Jones..Mr. Jones. He represents the other. It was to appease Mr. Jones that Givings got the job. Mr. Smith never really thought she could handle it. Apparently, he was right."
"OK. But.. how was it that I was able to use the Flasher on her? I thought..you told me once.. that it wasn't effective on DHS personnel. That you all had implants, like mine."


His phone went off again. Again, he looked but didn't answer.
"What I meant by that," he said, " was that field agents wouldn't be affected. Givings was not a field agent. She was strictly back office but got pushed forward by Mr. Jones, like I said. I never thought you'd run into anyone other then field agents."

His phone, again.

"Someone really want to get in touch with you. Maybe you should answer?"
"Nah. They know where I am and why I'm here. There's nothing I can do from here anyway."

The phone.
"Look I gotta wrap this up. Everyone is good with the Givings situation. Mr. Smith actually told me that you solved a problem for him, so that should go far."
"So what happens now? Are you coming back, or will someone else take over? What do I do now?"
"I don't know. I'm kinda out of the loop. Things are happening with my Delaware assignment that I need to take care of. For now, just keep staging Random Events until someone contacts you. Mr. Smith has plans, and I expect something soon, but I don't know what or when."

He got out of the car, and his phone went off again. A black SUV pulled up behind me.

"Gotta go now, Denny. I think Mr. Smith feels like he owes you one. We'll see. Take care of yourself."
He turned, got into the SUV, and drove off.

I sat there for a while, then drove off myself.

I was confused. The only thing I was sure about was that I was hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment