Monday, January 10, 2011

Back to Basics.............

I woke up early this morning. No particular reason, but I was feeling good. All the post-holiday obligations have been tended to, the "decorations" have been put away, and what can be returned has been. We had a little more snow over the weekend, but it didn't really add anything to what we still have left over from the Big Storm just after Christmas. There is, however, the prediction for another big storm coming in tomorrow night.

Outside of a quick trip tomorrow morning for another blood test, I have no medical tests until the end of the month.

Today is a good day to do something.

I decided that I should take this opportunity to take some of those pictures that I want to add to previous posts. I went through my usual routine, then headed for the Menlo Park Mall. Almost all of my meetings with Givings have been held there, and I figured to get some shots before the mall opened and the shoppers showed up. I drove over, parked by Barnes & Nobles, and entered the mall on that side. There were a few mall walkers here, but I had no problem taking several shots in the Food Court - we sat in several different areas over the last few months. I tried not to be too obvious, and no one seemed to be interested in what I was doing. I ended my session with a photo of the small snack area outside of Nordstrom's, on the lower level, and headed back to the exit by Barnes & Nobles. When I got there, I saw a woman, sitting by herself, on one of the benches. There was no one walking in this end of the mall, and she couldn't be seen from the main corridor, anyway. I took out the Flasher.



I walked into the hallway leading to the exit. I stopped, listening for any sounds of someone approaching. Nothing. I couldn't see if anyone was in the main corridor, but, then again, they couldn't see me. I hurried up. Closer. Closer. Almost right behind her. She hadn't appeared to move. Still bent over as if she were reading something. Point, press, Flash.

I kept walked - quickly - through the two exit doors, then turned right into Barnes & Nobles. I waited just inside the door there, but no one walked by, and no one came rushing out. I walked through the store, out into the parking lot, and got into my car. I had some prescriptions to pick up at the WalMart pharmacy on Route 9. As I drove away, my phone chimed. When I got to WalMart I checked. Confirmed.

I was hungry, so I ate a quick breakfast at the Dunkin' Donuts next to the WalMart. I was feeling good, and it was still early, so I decided to check out a couple of the Woodbridge Library satellites. I started at the one on Ford's Avenue, then went to Route 1, turned off on Green Street, and stopped at the Iselin branch.

On my way out, I found I was behind an older man who was obviously going to the parking lot - just like me. I kept the distance between us and looked around. We were the only ones in sight. The parking lot is on the side of the building without windows, and set in far enough off Green Street that it's not easily visible. I took out the Flasher.



The man was parked on the far side between 2 other cars. He stopped to open his door, and I closed the distance. He never looked my way. Just got into his car, and leaned over to put his books on the passenger seat. I got closer. He sat up and reached over to pull his door closed. Point, press, Flash. I turned to my car and heard the "click" as his door shut. No one was around. I didn't see any cars drive by. I got in my car, and drove out. Green Street to Oak Tree Lane to Wood Avenue to Iselin Avenue. Confirmed at the Colonia branch.

Time to head home.

.............................................................................................................................................................

I was sitting in the living room around 5:00, trying to decide how to write this up, when my phone rang. James. I answered.
"Mr. O'Neill do you have your television on?" Surprisingly, it was the man I knew as Smith - one of the People Upstairs.
"What? I'm sorry. I don't.."
"It's very simple, Mr. O'Neill. Do you have your television on?"
"Yes."
"Good. Please turn it to Channel 7. The news is on, and there is a segment coming up in approximately 2 minutes."
I used the remote. The female commentator was doing a lead-in.
"Just in time, Mr. O'Neill. These are pictures of a large fire that took place this morning. No loss of life, but it sprerad to 3 adjoining homes causing a great deal of damage."



"And you wanted me to see this because..?"
"Because it is one of ours, Mr. O'Neill. It was set in motion by Ms. Givings on Friday. Unfortunately, there has been a death in her family and she had to go back to Indiana. This was left in the "capable" hands of her team. It is now under investigation due to the property damage."
"Is that a problem?"
"No. They won't find anything. But these Fire Events are starting to get media attention, and that can't be tolerated."
"Again, I have to ask, why are you telling me?"
"Because Ms. Givings is not here. I felt you should be made aware of the end of this particular effort. Givings is due back on Wednesday, and we will meet to discuss what should be done next. Frankly, I am not happy with her performance to date, but that is a matter for the full committee. I want you to know that this in no way reflects badly on you. We are pleased with your contributions. In fact, I see that you were out and about this morning. Please keep up the good work."

He hung up before I could say anything.

I guess I'll have to wait to hear from Givings. Or someone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment