Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thanks 4 the Memories....

Yesterday was beautiful. It may be that I now have more time to "stop and smell the roses" or it may be that having come close to dying, I appreciate life more, but yesterday was beautiful. I was up in Avenel, and decided to walk around a little.

Autumn in New York is supposed to be terrific, but give me New Jersey any time besides, I don't have to pay that humongous toll. Here it's a bunch of small towns that make up one large municipality, and each town has its own charm. Walking up and down the streets, breathing that fresh, crisp air, is a great experience, and good cardio. My doctors would be proud.

I'd ambled up and down Remsen and Prospect, and was on Demorest. I figured to stroll on down to St. George, then up to McDonald's for breakfast. The colors were just beginning to show, and the trees were starting to look real nice. That's when I saw her.

She was an old woman, out in front of her house. Looked like she was planting or weeding along her walkway. Indian, Pakistani, or some such. I took the Flasher from my pocket, and started checking out the area. I didn't see anyone else, and there were no cars coming or going. I constantly watched as I got closed. Definitely weeding. Looks like she'd planted some mums, and was cleaning up around them. Down on her knees, working away. I came up to her, checked the area. Nothing and no one. Point, push, flash. She folded over and lay on the lawn, as I went by. A few minutes later, I'd turned the corner towards McDonald's. I figured I'd get the confirm on number 4 as I was eating. Should I get the Big Breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment