Sunday, September 27, 2020

 Smell The Roses ......

By Saturday the 19th I was pretty stressed out. I felt like every doctor I deal with had something worrying to say or something they wanted me to do. I needed a break and, since the Covid test and catheterization had been postponed for a week, I was about to get one.

Tuesday the 22nd I had a Swallow Therapy session that went well. We agreed, again, to cancel the Friday session and meet up the following Tuesday. I now had 5 days to myself, unless something popped up unexpectedly. I called my Cardiologist's office and asked when I should get the flu shot. I usually wait until the end of October but I was concerned about the current situation. They said the sooner the better.

Wednesday, I headed out to get my shot and, on a whim, decided to swing by my barber. 



I just wanted to see if they were still taking reservations but I saw the Early man sitting at the desk. I parked, put on my mask, and walked in. He took me right away and I was done in 20 minutes. Feeling good, I drove to my Pharmacy and got the flu shot without a problem.

Thursday was pretty quiet but I did get some interesting mail.




Besides the invoice for my October rent I got my Mail-in Ballot for the upcoming Presidential Election. I wasn't going to mail it back but intended to wait until the Ballot Drop-box was put up in front of City Hall.

Friday I was out running errands and decided to swing by the Municipal Building.



The Ballot Box was out already.

Saturday I drove up early to drop off my Ballot. I knew there was a Farmer's Market that uses the Parking Lot on Saturdays so I wanted to get there before they opened at 9. I got a space and cast my vote. Walking back to my car I noticed this.




I didn't know that there was a Rain Garden there even though I'd passed by several days a week. It made me wonder what else I'd missed seeing in my own neighborhood.

This morning, I set out to drive around and see what was out there. I drove up Rahway Avenue and stopped at the Barron's Art Center, pulling into their lot.



They have this great, bronze statue of a Native American that I'd never really looked at before.

I turned onto Freeman Street and pulled over on the right.



There's a very well preserved, house that someone actually lives in that dates back to 1685. The house itself is pretty non-descript but they do have one of these outside.



If I'd had a horse I would've tied up here. A little further up Freeman I pulled over on the left to get a better view of this.



It was a small Lion's Head Water Fountain outside of a wall surrounding a house. It was badly overgrown but I was impressed by how good it looked.

I drove around for another hour or so and found several other Historical Markers and architectural features that I thought were interesting including one outside of the Knights of Columbus building on the corner of Main Street and Amboy Avenue. I had no idea that George Washington had ever been to Woodbridge.

On my way back home I was on Linden Avenue when I saw this and had to pull over.



I had heard about these Free Libraries that people put out in front of their own homes but I'd never seen one before. It made me realize that there really were good people in the world, some of whom live by me.

Back at home I was feeling relaxed. I know what was coming up next week but it didn't worry me anymore. I think that there's a real benefit in the old saying. 

From now on I will make the time to stop and smell the roses.






















No comments:

Post a Comment