Thursday, January 1, 2015

Calm And Bright .................

It's the first morning of the first day of the first month of the new year.

I couldn't help thinking - as I watched the broadcast from Time's Square last night - that a lot of the crowd were there not just to see in the new year but to make sure the old one left. It wasn't one of the best, considering the volume of horrible situations that filled the news broadcasts and the papers.

Still, the sun was shining brightly and I left my apartment with a sense of hope for this year, especially since it will bring a new addition to my extended family. It was cold out but there was no wind so it didn't feel as bad as yesterday. If I was someone who goes out to walk, jog, or run, I would've called it exhilarating. I'm not, of course, but I did enjoy the quiet as I sat in the car while it warmed up.

I drove up to Shoprite and was struck by something I noticed - there was practically no traffic and very few people about. I know it's a holiday but it was as if the world decided to sleep in.

Well, most of the world.

I saw this woman walking in my direction as I passed by the local High School.




She had that purposeful stride that, I imagine, someone who decided to exercise in the new year must have. I drove on by. Far be it for me to ruin her resolution.

I picked up a few things and stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast.

Then I decided to just drive around. I didn't need anything and I didn't have to be anywhere but I was feeling good.

I took the long way up St. George to Main Street, then down Main to Amboy. I didn't have the radio on and I actually made every light. I was enjoying this, and I began to see some people out and about.

Along Amboy, in the Clara Barton section, I saw this guy sitting on a bench.




He was waiting for the bus, I guessed, and was probably headed for work. Not everyone has the holidays off. I wished him well and drove on.

There's a lot to be said about just driving around when very few cars are sharing the road with you and you're hitting the lights.

 It feels great.

There's a freedom to it.

But ............ if you're smart you'll realize that you're doing 60 in a 25 MPH zone and slow down.

I turned up Gill in the direction of Route 1. This is a narrow, winding road that cuts through a cemetery. Up ahead, I saw this guy coming in my direction.




I couldn't come up with a reason for why he was out here.

Point, press, Flash.

I headed for home. There were more cars out now, and more people.

The moment, I guess, was over.

That's when the Christmas Carol "Silent Night" crossed my mind. It's about that one perfect, peaceful night. I couldn't help applying the lyrics to this morning. It was ...

calm and bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment