Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sneakers....................

I know, the official start of Spring was a couple of weeks ago. But we've still had some chilly days and some heavy rains. I don't mark the start of Spring until I put away my water-proof work boots and break out my sneakers.

Today was that day.



It may have been my imagination - as I left my apartment this morning - but I swear that I could feel a lightness to my step. A "spring", if you will. It felt great.

It was a bit too early for breakfast (I usually wait until after 9, when I take my anti-rejection meds) so I swung by the local Shoprite first. I picked up some stuff for supper and headed back to the apartment to drop it off. That was when I saw this woman walking by.



I was tempted, but we were too close to St. George's Avenue and anyone could turn into the strip mall at any time. I headed for home, and dropped off the food I'd bought.

I headed up to Avenel, stopping at the Comcast office to pay the bill (they don't open until 9:30 but I usually just drop it in their lock box). I picked up the paper, and went to Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast.

I ate in the shop, sitting at a small table by one of the windows, feeling the sun and reading my book. Feeling good.

 As I walked back to my car, I decided to just drive around for a while with the windows open (a little, anyway) and the radio on. As I drove up the block, I noticed this guy up ahead, walking in the street.



I looked around but it was only us.

Point, press, Flash.

I made the right turn, then another right, and headed towards Colonia.

I had CBS-FM on the radio - it's Beatles' Wednesday - and I just left it that way. I had no place to go and no time to be there. I was just "...meandering in a mazy motion..." as Coleridge wrote. It was great.

I drove through a couple of parks in Iselin and Edison. I drove through the back streets of Metuchen. At one point, I came up on this guy.



He was out taking a stroll on a nice day. Kinda like what I was doing. I drove on by.

When I found myself heading back towards Woodbridge, I took a quick left and headed for Sewarren and Williams Park. I parked, got out and stretched, and found myself looking out over Raritan Bay. I sat there for a while, enjoying the scenery and the quiet.




The breeze finally started to pick up and I decided to head for home. I took the first left out of the park and headed towards Woodbridge Avenue. I made the right but got stuck at the railroad crossing.

There was a freight train passing through and I was stopped along with this guy who'd been out walking.



We waited for almost 15 minutes for the train to pass. No one joined us. When it was finally through, and the gates were opening, I noticed that there was no one was waiting on the other side.

Point, press, Flash.

I drove on home.

Spring is finally here for me.

I've got my sneakers on.

No comments:

Post a Comment