Monday, September 16, 2013

While You're Waiting..........

One of the things you can count on in life is that you wind up - more often then not - waiting for things.

 Most of the time, it's no big deal. Like Saturday, for example. I had a lunch date with my daughter and I had to wait in Red Robin a little longer then usual. Not a big deal because they sat me in a booth facing the door and I ordered our drinks. Plus, I had time to really look through the menu.

Sometimes, however, it becomes a big deal, and I've been trying to work my way through two situations that are taking more time then they should. Let me explain ...
__________________________________________________________________________________

Recently, I came across an article that Ian Mckellen would be playing an older Sherlock Holmes in an adaptation of Mitch Cullin's book "A Slight Trick of The Mind". I am a big Holmes fan and I immediately logged onto a discount on-line bookseller that I use. I found a Trade Paperback of the book and ordered it. Later that day I got the email confirm of my request and they charged my account. The next day, I got another email that they couldn't fill the order after all and was issuing me a credit.

At least I didn't have to wait.

I logged into another discount bookseller that same day, found the book and ordered it. Again I got the email acknowledgement and they charged my account. Two days later I got an email that my order had been shipped. I thought, "Hey, alright. This is gonna work."

Now, I had to wait.

 Not for long. Four days later they emailed me again. They apologized, but they couldn't fill the order. They refunded the purchase price, and gave me a credit to use towards a future purchase.

Now I'm in over a week, and I still don't know if I'm gonna get the book.

I logged into a popular on-line site, found the book, and ordered it. Like before, they acknowledged my order and charged my account. Again, two days later (which was yesterday) , I got an email that said my book had shipped.

Now I wait again.
_______________________________________________________________________________

The second situation is health related. This is the time of year that I start looking into getting a Flu shot. Also, this year, I need to get the Pneumonia shot. I live in Woodbridge and the Health Department usually holds a couple of clinics where they offer these at a discount. Basically, they would  bill my insurance for the Flu shot, but I wasn't sure what the process was for the Pneumonia one. So I drove over last Tuesday and asked. After about 1/2 an hour, no one could come up with an answer and they weren't even sure that they had the vaccine so they gave me a phone number and asked if I would call back in 2 or 3 days.

I waited until day 3 (Friday) to call. The woman who answered the phone remembered me but said that the Director would be out of the office for a couple of hours. She took my name and number and told me I'd hear back later in the day.

I waited.

No one called.
______________________________________________________________________________

This morning, I woke up early still waiting on these two situations.

I had some errands to run and didn't get a chance to call the Health Department until about 9:30. The same woman answered. She figured out pretty quickly that I hadn't gotten a call back. She really didn't have any information but she took my name and number again.

Now I'm still waiting and I'm frustrated.

I drove up through Avenel and into Colonia. Along Chain-of-Hills Road, I came up behind this guy.



My windows were up due to the chill, but I had the time to lower them. This is a quiet stretch of road, and there was no one else around.

Point, press, Flash.

I drove on.

I was heading towards the Post Office on Middlesex Turnpike, and then intended to drive to Target. Just past the MetroPark Train Station there are a few small apartment developments. On a whim, I drove through.

Having made a left onto one of the back roads, I suddenly came up behind this guy.



I didn't have a lot of time, I just reacted.

Point, press, Flash.

I skipped Target, and headed up to the thrift shop in South Plainfield. It was one of their sale days and I was looking for some sweat shirts. I actually picked up four, and headed down Plainfield Avenue towards the library in Metuchen. I made a left on Smithfield, and saw this guy standing on the corner just up ahead.


I was ready. I made the right at that corner so he'd be on my passenger side.

Point, press, Flash.

It took me a few extra minutes to get back on track and I stopped at the library. I didn't find anything interesting there so I decided to head for home.

Everything is still open. But, I am feeling calmer.

I guess you have to have something to do ..

.. while you're waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment