Thursday, February 7, 2013

Weather.............

It's been over three weeks since I last heard from Doyle. If there was anything going on, I'm pretty sure he'd tell me. There's nothing I can do but wait.

It's been much longer then that since I heard from Gordon. I was a little concerned but the last time we met he said that there was someone helping him out. Again, there's nothing I can do but wait.

Well, that's not entirely true.

I've been going out every day looking to stage an Event or two, but I've had some problems. All of them involve the weather.

We've either had really sunny days that , with the wind factored in, have been bone-chillingly cold. Or, we've had unseasonably warm days that have been overcast and rainy. Either way, there haven't been too many people out and, I have to admit, I didn't want to stay out too long in either case. Also, I've developed a problem with my car that makes things a little more difficult.

About two and a half weeks ago, it was one of the bright and windy days and I was out early. I was up just past Avenel, in Rahway, behind the PathMark/KMart strip mall. I saw this guy just up ahead, leaning against his car, smoking a cigarette.




I looked around, but we were the only ones around. I had the Flasher down by my side, as usual. Here's where my problem occurred. My windows open and close electronically. The weather had apparently affected them because when I tried the driver's side one, it started to creep down way too slowly.Of course, I started to worry if I'd be able to raise it back.

I drove past the smoker, and stopped in the far side of the lot. Eventually, the window closed but I was going to have to reconsider things.

On the way home, I remembered that I've used the Flasher through windows before, just not my windows. It shouldn't make a difference. I wanted to try it right away, but I figured the smoker would be gone by now. I'd get a chance soon.

Last week it rained on and off, but it was warmer. It had stopped early enough one day, so I drove up to Colonia. My phone rang, and I stopped on the side of the street to see who it was. It was a robo-call from my pharmacy stating that a prescription of mine was ready. It was starting to rain again, and I looked up as I was putting my phone back. I saw this man heading towards me.




I kept my phone in my right hand, pretending to speak into it, and scanned the neighborhood. No one else. As he came up to the passenger side, I acted.

Point, press, Flash.

I saw him drop, started the car, and headed for the pharmacy.

Yesterday started out overcast, but dry. I drove up St. George's Avenue and took the jug-handle into the ShopRite lot. I dove around to the rear lot, and saw this older guy putting groceries into his trunk. He was coming up on my driver's side.



I dove around him, checking out the area. We were the only one's there. I turned so he'd be on the passenger side, and narrowed the gap.

Point, press, Flash.

I drove around the front, parked, and did some shopping. We're expecting a pretty severe storm coming and, like others, I needed some supplies.

I can't help thinking of a line from an old Laurel and Hardy movie...

Lot's of weather we've been having.

No comments:

Post a Comment