Monday, December 31, 2012

Hazy Shades..............

I haven't staged an Event in weeks. It's not that I didn't have any opportunities. I go out every day, driving around through my corner of Middlesex County. There's always errands to run and, this being December, there was the additional search for presents to buy.

There is always someone.

I can always find someone on their own. Isolated. Alone.

But I just wasn't in the mood. Perhaps that Seasonal Affective Disorder thing really does have an impact on everyone. After all, we haven't had much sunlight lately. Just what Paul Simon called "A Hazy Shade of Winter".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning started as another gray day. But it has the added impact of being New Year's Eve. I didn't have any place in particular to go, but I had to do something so I headed out. I got gas at a Hess Station on Route 9 and stopped at the Post Office in Avenel to mail something.

I had breakfast at the Dunkin' Donuts on St. George Avenue, and decided to head to Metuchen and see if the library was open.

As I drove down Route 27, I noticed that there was very little traffic around, even more so then usual. Just up ahead, I saw this guy - one of those workers who screws up traffic by putting those orange cones way too far out from their vehicles.



I slowed, looking around. I was the only car in the vicinity - except for this guy's. I lowered the passenger side window.

Point, press, Flash.

I drove into Metuchen and found the library open. I picked up a couple of novels - one by Mordecai Richler and one by Philip Roth -  for $.50 each. I've been reading mostly mysteries for the last year or so and these would be a nice change of pace. Perhaps I'd be making a change for the new year after all.

I drove up into South Plainfield, cutting through a parking lot of a local Krauser's so I could bypass a traffic light. As I entered the lot through the back, I saw this guy up ahead.




He was on the passenger side, so I lowered that window again. A quick look around. No one else.

Point, press, Flash.

I continued on.

I pulled into the strip mall where Unique is. That's the thrift store I like to stop at from time to time. I've picked up coats for $6, jeans for $4, and other stuff. Mondays they discount everything by another 25%. On an impulse, I drove around the back. I'm guessing that this guy just picked up the bike and was trying it out.




I thought about it. There was no one else around. But the pick up area for the large pieces (furniture, etc.) from Unique was here and someone could show up at any time. And anyway, the guy seemed to be having a good time.

I didn't stop. I drove home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm sitting on my bed, propped up against the head board. The TV is on, and my laptop is where the name suggests. I can look out the window and watch the traffic pass by on Rahway Avenue, as well as anyone going in or out of my building. The sky is still gray, but - I think - my mood has changed.

When I was younger, things were always black and white. There was a right reason for doing something, and a wrong one. Now............I'm not so sure. Now, just having a reason seems to be justification enough.

I look out the window and it's getting dark. But we've passed the winter solstice, so it's getting darker later. Maybe that's all we can hope for.

That it keeps taking longer for the darkness to come in.

Maybe hazy shades aren't so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment