Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Being Prepared................

I usually get up between 7 and 8 each morning. Oh sure, sometimes I have to get up earlier for an appointment and sometimes I do like to sleep in, but usually I'm up between 7 and 8. And I prefer to do it on my own. This morning, I was still in bed, semi-awake, when I was startled by a loud, annoying sound. There was nothing I could see from my bedroom window, but from the living room I could see a guy demolishing a set of steps to the dentists office across the street - with a jackhammer. I was not happy.

After getting dressed - and finishing my morning routine - I left my apartment and headed for my car. As I warmed it up, I could see the guy just jackhammering away across the street.




I drove down a couple of blocks, then did a u-turn. No one else was around. I lowered my passenger side window as I headed back up the block.

Still no one around. Just the guy with the jackhammer, drilling away. I got closer.




I slowed as I got closer.

Point, press, Flash.

I saw him start to slump over as I reached the corner and turned right. I could still hear the jackhammer. I headed to the Main Library.

Yesterday, I received a news release for a Donate Life Month Ceremony to be held on Wednesday at JFK Memorial Hospital in Edison, and I wanted to print out a copy.

(Digression...April is Donate Life Month and, as a recent volunteer with The Sharing Network, I had helped in setting up this event. The mayors of both Edison and Woodbridge, where I live, will be issuing a joint Proclamation and raising the Donate Life flag in front of the hospital. I was asked to attend as a representative of the recipient community)

When I got to the library, and pulled into the back lot facing the back of the high school, I noticed an older man leaning against the car next to where I parked.





I went inside, signed out a computer with Internet access, and printed out the news release. When I got back to my car, I noticed that the old man was still beside his car. I lowered my window and backed out so that he was on my side. It was still early and this back lot was empty except for the 2 of us.




There was no one around. There were no cars passing by.

Point, press, Flash.

I drove out of the lot, circling the library, and wound up on St. George's Avenue. I decided to drive over to JFK Hospital and check it out.

It only took about 15 minutes to get there, and I turned right up the drive towards the Main Entrance. The ceremony would be held at the flagpole just outside.The only problem I could see was that the parking situation was terrible. I drove around the complex for another 15 minutes or so without finding a single space. I did notice a sign for valet parking at a cost of only $2.00.

Not having anything else to do, I kept circling the complex and finally found a parking spot behind one of the out buildings. I parked and started walking towards the Main Entrance but realized  that this was just way too far to be walking and decided to come over really early on Wednesday and if I couldn't find a spot, opt for valet parking.

As I turned back, I noticed an electrician's truck parked to my left. The driver was just climbing into the back and had both doors open. I started looking around. There were a number of people walking around, but they looked like they were focused on where they were going. And it was a bright, sunny day. I held the Flasher down by my leg.




I passed close by the back of the truck, looking around as I did. No one was looking towards me and the driver had his back to me.

Point, press, Flash.

I got back in my car and headed home. I'd scouted out the area I would be in on Wednesday.

I was prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment