Saturday, March 19, 2011

Up and Down........

It's been one of those weeks where your blood pressure goes on a roller coaster ride. For most people, that's OK, for me..I have to watch it.

It started Sunday night. I was checking my e-mails when my computer started alerting me to the fact that I now had 38 potentially dangerous viruses. 38! How that can happen that quickly, I don't know, but it did. Of course, all I'd have to do is activate my Virus Protection Program....which I never got around to getting.

Monday morning, I had to go in for blood work, so I had to let the computer problem sit until I got back. I won't bother detailing the stress I got when I took the laptop to my local P. C. Richards (where I bought it). Suffice it to say that I wound up downloading the anti-virus program and clearing up the 38 viruses (and 194 cookies as well).

Highlights from the rest of the week were better. I got a good report on the blood work and don't have to go back until July; I got to attend a Town Hall Meeting with the Governor; and Thursday was Paddy's Day. All of these good things should've reduced my stress level but my daughter is getting married a week from today so, as the Father of the Bride, I'm on high alert. (I haven't mentioned this before, as it had no bearing on these entries.)

This morning, I woke up at 6:30, feeling a little off, but decided to run some errands. You know, take a ride - it's almost Spring. I got out onto Rahway Avenue, intending to head to Wegman's and fell in behind a small, commercial truck belonging to a local exterminator. His right blinker was on. It was on all the way down Rahway to Main Street, and down Main. After about 15 minutes or so, he did turn right, into the shopping area where Wegman's was located. He finally turned off the blinker then abruptly turned left into the Wegman's lot- without a blinker. I turned right, into a different lot.

Now, one of the things that bothers me when I drive is a person who doesn't use his blinker. And another thing that bothers me is a person who doesn't turn off his blinker. Here was a guy who did both. I could feel my pressure going up.

I got out of my car and headed towards Wegman's. The small truck was in front of me, and the driver was still in it. As I got closer I could see that he was reading the paper. I took the Flasher out of my pocket. I looked around. No one around. Closer. Still no one.




Point, press, Flash.

I walked past, into Wegman's. I went in one door, and out another. I walked though the lot, past the small truck, into the next lot, got into my car, and drove away. I headed toward the Rahway library. It was 8:40. Still early. The confirm came at 8:45. Pressure down.

I got to the library about 8:55. It opens at 9:00, but I decided to wait in the car and take my meds before going in (I'm on a 12 hour schedule with my anti-rejects - 9 and 9). The lot was practically empty but this guy in an SUV decided to pull in right next to me - with his radio blaring and his windows open. OK, it wasn't rap music, but still.. I hate when people do that. I lowered the passenger side window and leaned across the front seat. He had his head down, reading, or checking his emails or something. Whatever. He still had the radio on and he was ignoring me. Pressure up.....





Point, press, Flash.

I didn't go in to the library. I drove away, heading for the Menlo Park Mall. I knew the mall stores didn't open until 10, but I figured to do some mall-walking. The confirm came in at 9:05. Pressure down.

I got to the mall around 9:20, and parked around back in the covered-parking lot. I walked to the mall feeling pretty good. As I reached the door, this guy came out, talking on his cell phone. Actually, arguing on his cell phone - loudly, and with waving arms. I hate that. Pressure up. I stopped, and let him pass me, then followed along. He paid me no attention, just kept on yelling. Instead of heading into the lot, he turned left, along the side of the mall. No one else was there, and since it was still early, no one drove by. Finally, he calmed, stopped, and hung up.





Point, press, Flash.

I went back to my car, and headed for Metuchen. The library there opens at 10, also. Pressure down. The confirm came in about 9:45.

I got to the library just about 10, but sat in the car for a while. I realized that I was reacting personally to what was happening and that's not what I should be doing. It was sloppy, and it could get me caught. I knew that Doyle said they could get me off, but things hadn't been going his way lately, and I shouldn't be taking chances.

I sat there for a while just letting the warmth of the day settle in. I lowered the window for the breeze. The warm breeze.

I headed home.

Pressure down.

No comments:

Post a Comment