Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I've Got Questions, He's Got............

Weather wise, the last few days have been crazy. Friday, we had 60 degrees and sunshine; Saturday and Sunday, we were more seasonal but with extremely heavy winds; and yesterday morning, we had snow on the ground from an overnight storm. Thankfully this morning was cold but windless because I had to go out............

Doyle called.

I had to pick up some meds at the WalMart on Route 9, so we agreed to meet at the nearby Dunkin' Donuts. I got a bagel with cream cheese and a medium decaf, and took a table on the left side facing the door. Doyle came in about 10 minutes later, got some coffee, and took the other chair - the one where his back was to the door.

"Isn't that against some kind of training or something....sitting with your back to the door? Some kind of Wild Bill Hitchcock thing?"
"HAH! Aces and eights? The Dead Man's Hand? You don't believe that stuff, do ya?"
"Not really...but shouldn't you be facing the door? You know...so you can see who comes in?"
"Not anymore. When I was a Rookie, maybe, but that was a long time ago. Now, I have people who watch my back. Besides, I'll react to you."
"What do you mean by that?"
"Well, I assume that if someone were to get by my men outside and come at me in here, you'd see them, and react. You'd get up, shout, something. I'd react to your reaction. Believe me, that's the least of my worries right now."
"OK. So..what worries you now? Why did you call? Are you coming back up here? What's happening with Delaware?"
 Doyle sipped from his coffee before he spoke.
"That's a lot of questions, and I don't have answers for some - and can't answer others."
"Fine. Tell me why we're here."
"There's a lot going on, Denny, and I'm not really sure we understand it all, but I'll try to bottom-line it for you. We know the guy - the agent - who tried to run you off the road. His name doesn't matter, but he was one of us. His having one of our vehicles is explainable, since he has access. What we don't know, yet, is why he went after you. He wasn't part of your detail so he shouldn't have known about you."
"Really? Then how..."
"We don't know, but we're working on it. Only we have to go slowly. We think that it is tied into what happened with the Delaware project, and it's all tied in - we think - somehow - to the People Upstairs."

He stopped and looked at me, waiting for me to say something. I occupied myself with my breakfast while trying to come up with something. Finally, I asked....

"Can you tell me what happened in Delaware? The last thing you told me about that was that the People Upstairs wanted to expand on our original project, and find similar subjects in other states. If I remember correctly, Delaware was the first."

He looked like he expected the question.
"No, I can't tell you anything, for now. It's classified - and extremely complicated."
"How does it tie in to the People Upstairs?"
"That's all still speculative, so there's nothing I can tell you. All I can say is that we've taken steps to make sure you're protected."
"Are you taking over here?"
"Not right now. Although there's nothing I can do in Delaware, I'm still responsible. Craig is now responsible for your protection detail. He's a good man, and I trust him. He's set up round the clock coverage, and expanded beyond the use of company cars."
"What does that mean?"
"He'll be using camouflage vehicles - family cars, utility vehicles and the like. I've seen his proposal, and it good."
"What if it's not that good? What if someone gets through?"

He reached into him jacket, and put a Flasher on the table.

"This is the latest model. It's self-generating, so it doesn't need any down time. It still can't effect a field agent, but it can disrupt a car engine - or a boat or small plane for that matter. It's the best we can do, for now."

I took it and gave him back the one I had.

"That's the best you can do..." for now"? Are you hoping things will get better, or what?"
"Of course we are. But first we wanted to do what we could for you. Now, we can look into some things."
Things you can't tell me about, right?"
"Right. Craig has your back, so you're as safe as I can make you. He'll be your contact. Anything we learn, that he can tell you, he will. Other then that, try to go back to your daily routine but watch your back."

He finished his coffee, stood up, and threw the empty cup away.

"Get back out there, Denny. It's the best thing for you." At the door he turned back. "And take care of yourself."

"Take care of yourself, too." I said, as the door closed behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment