Friday, July 16, 2010

YES.........

It's been 2 weeks since I got my "marching orders" - the change to how I should be pursuing Phase 2. A lot has happened, but none of it applicable to my task at hand.

Firstly, we've been suffering through a series of Heat Waves since July 2nd and the long Holiday Weekend for the 4th of July. Out of the 16 days so far this month, I understand that 10 of them have been above 90. Records have been set all over the tri-state area. This leads into...

Secondly, in this heat, no one goes out. I thought that finding people during the winter months was tough, but it's almost impossible to find one single person, alone, in this heat. We seem to crowd together at beaches, or jam together in car caravans to get there, or we don't leave the air-conditioned comfort of our own houses. I don't think I've seen even 1 single jogger. It's as if subconsciously we need to have someone with us in case we succumb to heat prostration. Which leads to....

Thirdly, I had a bout of dehydration, which kept me home for several days and necessitated a quick trip to the hospital for blood work and an Echo-cardiogram. Everything was fine, but I need to drink a lot more then I feel like. (Also, I had a biopsy scheduled for this week, and although I haven't gotten any of the results, I assume that no news is good news.)

So every morning I went out, usually with some errand or other to do, and although I wasn't "hunting" I did have my eyes open for any opportunity. No luck, until this morning..

I try to have a plan each day. What to do, where to go, and how to get there. This morning, I stopped for gas on Rahway Avenue, went to the Post Office there to mail some bills, and stopped at the Avenel Pathmark  on St. George's Avenue to see if they had a couple of things. They didn't.

On my way out of the store, I realized that I'd parked a little further to the right then I'd supposed. I turned in that direction, and noticed that halfway to my car, someone was sitting in theirs. I looked around. No one. I thought I felt my heart rate go up.

I took the Flasher from my back pocket, and held it by my side. I kept walking. Closer. I kept looking around. No one. She sat in the passenger seat, with the window rolled down. It looked like she was reading something.

Closer. Closer. Still no one. I lift the Flasher. Point, press, flash. I keep walking, putting the Flasher back and taking out my keys. I don't look back. No one calls out. It seems unnaturally quiet.

I get in my car, start it up, and drive past hers. She sits, slumped in the seat as if still reading. I drive on. The confirm comes in about 20 minutes. I spend the next several hours visiting libraries in Edison, Metuchen, Woodbridge, and Rahway. I get nothing. I see no one else. I don't care.

I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment